Thursday, May 3, 2012

The "Joys" of Volunteering


I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but I am involved in numerous organizations, and have been for a lot of years.  After you’ve been doing this for a while, you get “pegged” as someone who does something in particular well.  I do paperwork well.  In fact, as a court reporter for 35 years, it is assumed I am the best man to be Secretary of whatever organization it is.  In some organizations this also means filing financial forms.  While I do my own taxes, I hate financial forms.  And doing them for organizations is a nightmare, at least until you’ve been in charge of the figures yourself for a couple years.
In one organization I found the previous Secretary was paperwork challenged.  He took minutes, but did nothing else right, and did it with a flair.  It took six months to find his last mistake, and he was Secretary for a year.  In only one organization did I take over a “going concern”.  This year I took over the books of another organization, and was given a check to establish a new bank account where I live, and found three different financial reports with three different balances.  One matches the bank statement for end of last year, one matches a handwritten statement, and one matches exactly nothing.  I asked for the latest statement, and I hope it matches something.  Otherwise, I have to fudge the figures for the annual report at the end of the year.  Fudging figures for forms is a high art that I’ve become quite proficient at.  But I don’t like it.
Last year I took over a Secretary’s job from a man who didn’t even keep minutes.  I found that we were carrying members that were dead as long as six years.  I spent a month or so searching online for obituaries.  He never filed a form, nor did he or the Treasurer ever give a financial report to anyone.  So this year I had to file an IRS form and found that the new Treasurer, who can actually balance a checkbook, had been given a different Tax ID number that the parent organization had for us.  Tonight we’ll check with someone else in the organization to see what Tax ID number he has in his records.  I think it’s a third number.  The one from our parent organization is the correct one.  It’s a mystery.
The problem is there aren’t a lot of people who are willing to take on jobs in volunteer organizations these days.  The result is you get one of two kinds of people taking on these jobs:  The first is the easygoing Joe who says, “All right.  I’ll help you out.”  But who has no idea how to do the job.  Hence, you get records that make no sense, or are nonexistent.  The other one is the busiest man in town - that’s how you get a job done.  When he reaches the limit of what he can get done, he gets burned out, and the figures get farblundget.  If you don’t know what that means, google it.  It means what it sounds like.  I’m beginning to resemble that remark.
A warning to organizations: Be careful who you elect, and if a fellow says he’s too busy, believe him!